Arts Grounds Day Saturday, August 26, 2017 Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds Graciously sponsored in part by the UVA Parents Fund. 6 - 8:30: Picnic & …
Arts Grounds Day
Saturday, August 26, 2017
Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds
Graciously sponsored in part by the UVA Parents Fund.
- 6 – 8:30: Picnic & Arts Festivities: Food, Information Tables, Music, Performances!
- Creative Writing Table: Opportunities for Student Writers and Poems-on-Demand
- Meet Kate from the Creative Arts, Media, & Design Career Community and get two free stickers!
- Tell your story and listen to others in the StoryStream, an experiment in story-listening brought to you from the The Bridge PAI.
- The Music Department presents a Peace Drone, led by Katy Ambrose (horn), Matthew Burtner (synth) and Ted Coffey (synth). The peace drone brings together many instrumental colors to create one long, unified sound. The many disappear into one, and we hear the emergence of a new tonal unity, greater than the sum of its parts. Musical drones are used around the world for meditation, healing, aesthetic, and spiritual purposes. Everyone is invited to bring an instrument and join in.
- 8:30 – 10:30 Moonlight Movie presented by the Virginia Film Festival: La La Land
UVA Arts invites you to the Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds for a FREE picnic from 6:00 to 8:30pm with information tables, student performances, food and drinks, & an outdoor screening of La La Land at 8:30pm, presented by the Virginia Film Festival. Come learn about curricular, extra-curricular, and volunteer opportunities from the Visual & Performing Arts & Architecture departments, programs, and community. Bring your camping chair or a blanket to get comfy for the moonlight movie!!
Picnic: pulled chicken and pork BBQ, falafel sliders, fresh country coleslaw, vegetarian baked beans, macaroni and cheese, hush puppies, & lemonade!
Participating Departments & Programs: Architectural History, Architecture, Art History, Arts Libraries, Dance, Drama, The Fralin Museum of Art, Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection, Landscape Architecture, Miller Arts Scholars, Music, Studio Art, University Career Center, Urban & Environmental Planning, UVA Arts, Virginia Festival of the Book, Virginia Film Festival, & WTJU Radio
Rain Location: Drama Building (movie will be cancelled)
MORE DETAILS TO COME!
Moonlight Movie presented by the Virginia Film Festival: La La Land
2016. USA. 126 min.
Director: Damien Chazelle
Featuring: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, J.K. Simmons, John Legend, Finn Wittrock.
Written and directed by Academy Award nominee Damien Chazelle, La La Land tells the story of Mia (Emma Stone), an aspiring actress, and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling), a dedicated jazz musician, who are struggling to make ends meet in a city known for crushing hopes and breaking hearts. Set in modern day Los Angeles, this original musical about everyday life explores the joy and pain of pursuing your dreams. The highly anticipated feature premiered at the Venice Film Festival and also screened at the Telluride Film Festival and Toronto International Film Festival.