Announcing the A-School Distinguished Alumni Award Call for Nominations 2018
Given annually to alumni of the University of Virginia School of Architecture from any of the four departments in recognition of outstanding achievement, the Distinguished Alumni award recognizes graduates who have demonstrated creativity, innovation, leadership, and vision through their contributions to professional, societal, academic, artistic, or other areas that the awards committee feels are appropriate for recognition, including service to the University of Virginia. These areas may be local, national or international. Achievements and impact need not span a long career but should demonstrate the potential to have a lasting effect on the broader community.
All letters of nomination and nomination forms are due by 5PM on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2018.
To nominate a UVA School of Architecture alumna/alumnus for this award, please submit the following three documents via email (preferably as a PDF) to email@example.com. Portfolios and/or other supportive material shall NOT be submitted with the nomination. It is at the sponsor’s/nominator’s discretion whether to keep the nomination confidential from the nominee.
- Nomination Letter: this letter shall identify the nominee’s noteworthy accomplishments, with special emphasis on the influence the nominee has had in their chosen field and sphere of influence.
o The letter shall be no more than two pages in length, in at least 10–point, single-spaced type.
o The letter should be addressed to the Chair of the Dean’s Advisory Board, Mr. Paul King (BSArch ’78, MArch ‘82).
- CV, resume OR short bio of nominee
- Nomination Contact Form: Information for the Dean’s Advisory Board to research nominee further; including, but not limited to, links to relevant websites (personal, work, associations), awards, contact information for additional referees, etc.
- Nominee/Awardee must be an alumnus/alumna of the University of Virginia School of Architecture — undergraduate or graduate programs. The nominator need not be an alumnus/alumna of the A-School.
- No self–nominations shall be permitted.
- No alumni who are current faculty members at the UVA School of Architecture shall be considered (former faculty members and faculty emeritus are permitted).
- The previous year’s finalists will automatically be included in the following year’s first-round candidate pool for consideration. A new nomination letter/form are not necessary unless new information is available in support of the nomination. After two consecutive years of being a finalist (and not receiving the award), the candidate will NOT be automatically resubmitted and a new nomination will be required for future consideration.
- The Dean’s Advisory Board is a volunteer board of the School of Architecture consisting of alumni, public members (non-alumni), and ex officio members. The Dean of the School of Architecture and other ex officio members may act as non-voting advisors. Should there be an even number of votes during the final selection, the Chair of the Advisory Board will break the tie.
A-School Distinguished Alumni Award Past Recipients
2012 Warren T. Byrd, Jr., FASLA (MLA ’78 and Professor Emeritus, Department of Landscape Architecture), Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects
2013 W. Brown Morton, III, Hon AIA, FASLA (BAH ’61)
2014 Marion Weiss, FAIA (BSArch ’79), WEISS/MANFREDI
2015 Jennifer Masengarb (MAH ’00), Chicago Architecture Foundation
2016 Kai-Uwe Bergmann (BSArch ’91); Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG)
2017 Adam Yarinsky FAIA (BSArch ’84); Architecture Research Office (ARO)