The Mellon Indigenous Arts Initiative offers grants of $3500 to support UVA students applying for unpaid internships at museums, archives, or historic sites.
Applications are open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors in all fields of study who are in good academic standing (GPA 3.0 or higher).
Students applying for funds must meet one of the following criteria:
- Are applying to internships related to the Indigenous arts, or
- Are themselves from backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in museum careers, including students who identify as African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, other Pacific Islanders, and individuals with disabilities.
- This grant supports students who have secured unpaid internships only. *
- This grant will support students with an internship that is 30-40 hours per week, 8-10 weeks.
- Selected students must report on internship experience, highlighting accomplishments, personal growth, and impact of the internship on future career considerations.
* Internship applications may be in process at the time of application for this grant; they do not need to be secured in advance of this application. However, internships will need to be secured in order to receive funding from this grant.
How To Apply
Online Application and Recommendation Forms can be found on the program website.
Applicants must complete the online form, upload an unofficial UVA transcript and resume. Two Recommendations must be submitted using the online form provided