Can you #PicturePublicService at UVA, in Charlottesville, and beyond? There are so many ways to volunteer in our community—from Madison House to APO, from local nonprofits to student-run organizations. While the stories we gather from different volunteering experiences are incredible, we all know that a picture is worth a thousand words.
This is why we are launching a photo contest – an opportunity to showcase the amazing public service work you are doing in our community. We want to share with the world the type of service and community engagement that UVA students are doing throughout the year. And the best part? The winning photographs will be displayed in the West Oval Room of the Rotunda for the Fall 2018 semester. Ready to enter? Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply post to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter using the hashtag #PicturePublicService.
- Submissions will be accepted April 11-23, 2018 (11:59 p.m.).
- Submit as many photos as you want!
- Submit your photographs using the hashtag #PicturePublicService on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, or email to email@example.com. Visit the Facebook event.
- Keep in mind, if your social media account and/or post is private, we won’t see it! Email your photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org instead.
- A panel of judges from participating groups and organizations will vote and select the winning photographs April 24-27.
Five (5) winning photographs will be selected and displayed in the upper West Oval Room of the Rotunda for the Fall 2018 semester (September 1 through December 31, 2018). This is your opportunity to share your public service experience with the University community and visitors to the Rotunda, the heart of our University and UNESCO World Heritage site.
The #PicturePublicService photo contest is brought to you by the Office of the Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer, Madison House, Office of the Dean of Students, the Career Center, the LGBTQ+ Center, the Multicultural Student Center, Student Council Community Service Committee, and Rotunda Operations and Events.
- Photographs must be submitted April 11-23, 2018 (11:59 p.m.).
- Individuals may submit multiple photographs.
- Photographs must be the intellectual property of the individual submitting the photo.
- Submissions must have permission from all individuals pictured to be entered in the contest. In some cases, a photo release may be required, specifically for individuals under the age of 18.
- By submission, entries indicate permission for the University to reproduce and display submitted photographs.
- Photographs should be no older than the previous calendar year.
- Photographs should be high resolution, as winning photographs will be sized and printed for display. A photograph that is too low resolution will not be selected.
- Submissions will be accepted from Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram that use the hashtag #PicturePublicService or are emailed to email@example.com. Photographs submitted from private social media accounts and/or private posts will not be entered into the contest.
- We will contact finalists via email or through direct message on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Finalists must respond within 48 hours or a new finalist may be selected.
- Finalists may be asked to supply a written description of the photograph, including the location, activity, individual(s) pictured, organizations, etc.